Saturday, June 10, 2017

So, it's been a while

Hello, blog.

Hello audience of 1 plus a bunch of spammers.

I noticed it's been a while since I defied 2015 to out-do my monumental year of marriage, book publication, home-ownership and tenure.

Well, it did.

And it also explains the main reason I've been absent.

I HAD A BABY AND SHE IS NOW ALMOST 19 MONTHS OLD AND IT IS THE MOST AMAZING EXPERIENCE EVER AND SHE IS MY WHOLE WORLD AND WE NAMED HER AFTER THE NIGHT.

It was also excruciatingly hard. Ovid was right: metamorphoses are never smooth and easy, they are joint-cracking, body-distending, dysmorphically difficult. The metamorphosis from me to mother-me, from mother-me to academic mother-me was, inside and out, excruciating. Not to mention the physical changes that overtook my body (some women, including my mother and I, gain weight while breastfeeding and also struggle with low milk supply). I also struggled with postpartum depression, probably due to my baby's prematurity and said low milk supply.

But thankfully that's mostly over, we're through the metamorphosis, adapting nicely and deeply, deeply in love with this small, new human.

She's definitely helping me get through this abysmal political situation in which we're currently mired.

I don't know how much I'll be blogging here, to be honest. I've got a fractured self, spread too thin between being a scholar and being a mommy, and also fragmented across too many online platforms (twitter, instagram, fb, here).

But I'd like to keep writing in the wonderful (early modern, poetic) confessional mode that blogs provide. And I'd like to keep sharing my thoughts about time and temporality (just a fancy word for time, right?) and metaphysical poetry here.

So stay tuned.


1 comment:

Umra said...

So, it's been a while since we last connected! It's great to see this update and catch up on what's been happening. Looking forward to reconnecting and sharing more soon! Visit ziarat e shuhada e karbala