Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Music for a Hot Day

I've been listening to a lot of soul, funk and motown. For some reason it's perfect music for the sweltering heat we've been experiencing here in Montreal, and the joy and excitement I've been feeling lately about my impending move (I love travel and discovering new places) and about my life in general right now. And now that the latest versions of itunes comes with a completely manual graphic equalizer, I'm rocking out, and seem to find myself grooving all around the house, sometimes several times a day. And I'm not being modest here when I say that I can really move, I can really shake it. See, putting on a little weight does have its advantages!

I think it's funny that the way a lot of the songs appear in itunes is as a short phrase, proceeded by a parenthetical phrase that turns it into a sentence. Often as a simile. Like Martha and the Vandella's "Heat Wave," which appears as "(Your Love is Like a) Heat Wave." This is almost as funny as those long country songs that contain multiple clauses, which Stephen Merritt makes fun of with the ballad "My Heart's Runnin' Round like a Chicken with its Head Cut Off."

Here are a few of the songs to which I've been continually grooving:

Martha Reeves and the Vandellas:
(Your Love is Like a) Heat Wave
Tear it on Down (Let it Crumble)

Aretha Franklin:
Think
Night Time (Is the Right Time)
I Take What I Want

Tift Merrit:
(Your Love Made a) U-Turn
(I am Your) Tambourine

My groove will have take a break tomorrow night when I head down to Old Montreal to hear some chamber music. But that's okay, because I'm grooving enough for the entire week right now!

No comments: